Skip to main content

Back to the board...

A bit over 3 months ago, I wrote the last installment for TMU's 2008 season. Having improved both in health and time and since I'm enjoying a week-long holiday, it came to my mind that something had to be done about TMU: may be pass it on to somebody else's more capable hands or even shut it down. But, in the light of not having done any modeling at all in the last 3 months, it became painfuly obvious that modeling was no longer one of my havens in dairy life.

What to do about it? Well, many times you read that one article about changing your modeling subjects of liking in order to relief all the stress of "serious modeling". And yes, it goes over cynicism and into caustic irony that a hobby intended to relax people, may end up stressing them out. So I went for an old and never really quite fulfilled modeling passion, that of submarines.

I know it's a huge difference beetween subjects, but the TMU approach of "The less the better" came in handy this time. And when talking about subs, I´m not refering to modern ones, Revell's monstrous creations in 72 or even the wonderful I-400 in 1/350 scale. No. I´m referring to the creme de la creme in WWII vintage subs, the Russian Navy subs.

At that, Maquette of Russia comes to help the worried modeler with five different submarine classes: Dekabrist, Leninets, Malyutka, Stalinets and Shchuka. All of the kits are somewhat crude and it may have come to a small Modeling Association in Rostov that they came to see the light. Did I mention they're crude? And they amount to 9-10 pieces each? But they're the only game in town and they´re in 1/400 scale, so they won´t take much space and were shamefuly affordable.

Besides that and just like with airplanes, I love odd machines in odd colors. So, here is the Malyutka sub in its "advanced" modeling stage:

Photobucket

Only things left to glue are the deck gun, periscopes, elevators and rudder. Maybe, just maybe, I might add some PE railing and stretched sprue but that's still to be considered.

If any interest arises in you about the Soviet Navy and its sub force in WWII, just do me the favor and search in Wikipedia. Uboat.net is a great site for that too. Or Google the net. Many period pictures, no issues with colouring and the largest of these boats has more charm to this poor, stranded soul than Prien's Type VII.

Hopefuly it won't take so much time to present you, my dear friends, with another rendition, superbly filled with good intentions and poorly rendered to "paper", of this comedy called "The Modeling Underdog".

Take care and good luck!

Comments

Martin Lucero said…
Hola Javier:

Es bueno saber de vos.Buen tema este el de los subs sovieticos,del que se muy poco a pesar de que me gustan mucho los vehiculos aereos o terrestres de la Gran Guerra Patriotica.
Cualquier cosa que emprendas y te haga bien,bienvenida sea.Un abrazo:

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

A german in the land of the Ottomans: DFS Habicht in turkish service. Part I.

"Fear not and don't be dismayed This crimson flag shall never fade I know it will always shine My Nation's star and it is mine It will always shine" (Türkiye - Laibach)

Korolev's early dreams: The SK-5 "Koktebel" glider.

Clipped for Speed, Part I: the short span DFS Habicht. Glider, hot rod, rocket.