Skip to main content

Close calls and looking into the future.


Two weeks ago, there was a fire in my bedroom, where I keep all my model kits. I believe the source to have been the electrical system, which is some 35 years old on that part of the house. The resulting sparks, along with some molten plastic wire wrapping falling in flames from the ceiling set some of the magazines seating on top of a drawer on fire, which later went on to devour the cardboard boxes where the models are kept. The cardboard used was rather sturdy, but the bubble wraping, plastic bags and tissue paper used for stuffing the boxes and secure the little planes inside caught fire rather quickly.

Using a fire extinguisher I managed to put down the fire, and move away my mandolins from the smouldering heat. Never thought that some burning plastic mixed with paper could deliver such a hot, lung tearing, smoke. The guitar bag got a little charred on one side, but the ones for the mandolins got away without any signs of damage. Some clothes got light burns as well when some burning ashes fell upon them.

The magazines, I can live without them. But the work of the last five or six years is gone up in smoke forever.

The Heja II, the Waco, the Junkers F.13 and most of the models you've seen here and all the ones I had finished but not uploaded are nothing but a heap of ashes or badly burnt plastic lumps. Even the old militaria and the little submarines are gone. I still thank the modeling gods for not taking me away along with my model kits in the fire, but the sole thought of having lost a great share of my model kits sends shivers down my spine.

I will start over, there's no doubt about it. I don't know for sure if some of the model kits will be built once again. Most probably not. Couldn't replace the fond - and sometimes agonizing - memories of building and painting those little critters even if I wanted to.

Still, there's hope to be seen in every disaster. Even if you, just like me, are a hands down pessimistic whose relentless way of being has left you with barely any friends at all. Sometimes, it's for the best.

Model kits will be built again. And as the immortal Monthy Python used to say, always look on the bright side of life.

Take care and till our next installment.

The Modeling Underdog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A german in the land of the Ottomans: DFS Habicht in turkish service. Part I.

"Fear not and don't be dismayed This crimson flag shall never fade I know it will always shine My Nation's star and it is mine It will always shine" (Türkiye - Laibach)

Korolev's early dreams: The SK-5 "Koktebel" glider.

Clipped for Speed, Part I: the short span DFS Habicht. Glider, hot rod, rocket.